11/6/08

The Happy Greyhound

I always thought greyhound was a bit of an "aloof" dog breed. Looking at the world with a slightly worried expression, never really joyful. At least I had never seen a joyful greyhound before. (Well I don´t mingle in the greyhound circles so I cannot say I have much experience of them.)

And now I saw this young woman with her greyhound. It was the first frosty morning and she had put a pretty jacket on the dog. The walked right in front of me. And it was a joy to watch them interact with each other.

The greyhound circled his human with bouncy steps, looking at her face with an expression of total joy and adoration. She patted him on the head and back and talked to him and the dog was positively smiling at her. Wagging his tail, just radiating happiness. They lived in a world of their own, a world of happy companionship.

The dog continued his funny, light-stepped ballet around the girl when they turned from the corner, but they had already given me the gift of smile for today.

Aren´t our animal companions just the most wonderful thing? They are so connected to the pure bliss of just being alive, they sure can teach us a lesson or two on how to approach life!

No comments: