11/7/08

The Purr

Yesterday evening I was in a hurry. No real reason - just one of those days when you cannot stop running. You have a busy day at work, and then you get stuck to that busy feeling.

Well, I took a book I "had to" read and lay down on the bed to do the reading.

Immediately our Somali cat jumped to the bed. I squeezed the book and put it so I would not make eye contact. No use. He marched straight to my chest and settled himself. I could feel his little claws through my shirt. I thought that maybe if I just kept the book in front of my face, and paid no attention, he would go away. Now that was the plan at least.

Only it did not work. Suddenly a small nose and some whiskers appeared from under the book. I tried to push the book down, but he had made up his mind. He simply pushed the book aside, crawled quickly up so that his nose was on my cheek - and started purring. Oh what a purr that was. It rumbled so loudly it was quite amazing it came from such a small creature. I felt the purr all through my chest.

Eyes half closed and (I swear:) a smile on his face he made it clear that this was no time to be in a hurry.

I felt annoyed at first, but then I just had to laugh. The cat was in such obvious bliss. And so I put down my book, closed my eyes, rested my hands on the cat´s warm back and let him purr. After a while I felt the tense feeling leaving my chest and mind. What a perfect little stress-doctor a cat can be!

No comments: